All Mama's Children
All Mama's Children is a premium space ecommerce store selling luxury parenting goods in the ABC1 demographic space. Despite the relatively high net worth of the audience and the quality of the goods, All Mama's work hard to maintain sensible pricing and budgets to delivery both quality and value. Our values had to match in order to deliver profitability and rapid growth as early as possible into release. This is a web only based retail business with big ambitions and unusual drive.
As a startup in this space, getting going is hard. Brands and distributors want proof that the owners are serious before committing to work with them, so without history, their brand and perceived quality was key to getting the right partners on board pre-launch. Further to which, while not cluttered, the industry has lots of examples of good quality independents etching a space for themselves against the multiples, generally with a good back story and good use of social to attract a like-minded audience. Most of the competitors are proud "cottage businesses". AMC wanted to maintain the cottage ethos, but build a business that could scale reliably, back by sound financial decision making and granular, reliable statistical analysis. The growth plans are aggressive, the expectations high, and agility in thought and action top of the tree to ensure success.
Our brief, therefore, was to create a brand identity and visual language, social, search and advertising strategies, and a web platform with great stats and as many of the bells and whistles as possible without losing the independent feel and uncluttered user experience, then support it through its growth in the coming years.
All Mama's Children was one of those projects that started on paper around a table full of coffees, magazines, iPads and smiles. We undertook a wide-ranging competitor analysis, developed many expected customer profiles and dug deep into where and how we might find them. A pre-launch demo website and starting corporate identity and literature were created. We shot lifestyle photography that represented what the brand intended to be, and helped assemble a hit list of categories and brands for the owners and e-commerce manager to approach to get the project off the ground.
Budgets were sensible, but not bottomless, and ease of management was as crucial as the feature set and scalability. We needed to use a platform rather than build bespoke to make the requirements and budgets fit. Usually, this kind of project might use Magento, but we advised Shopify for its superior page speed and performance. The potential limitations of Shopify were not, in this case at least a short to medium term concern.
We extended Shopify with many add-ons and customisations; we were to
- facilitate loyalty schemes,
- email marketing automation,
- Facebook advertising automation,
- Google and Bing Shopping automation,
- remarketing automation,
- customer wishlists and stock notification features,
- advanced merchandising,
- financial and behavioural analysis and
- more robust invoicing and shipping than what is available out of the box.
We then bought and heavily customised an approved theme from the Shopify store to give AMC its own identity with the minimal technical fuss.
Advertising and social strategies were planned and are still monitored and iterated as the project continues to grow. We still support the site in organic, paid and social search, as well as working on presentation of products and continual improvement of the website, using statistics gathered from Moz.com for search and competitor analysis, Hotjar for onsite behavior and a combination of Compass, Google Adwords and Google Analytics for traffic, technical and financial performance.
We're very proud of the work we re doing with All Mama's Children, so far we have;
- Reached profitability inside 12 months
- Generated enough revenues to repay start up investment within 18 months
- 24% recovery of abandoned shopping carts (against an industry average of 7%)
- Cost per aquisition around 20% of customer lifetime value, or a 5:1 return on marketing strategies
- Consistent growth at far higher rates than benchmarked figures for competitors
- 602% year on year revenue growth (March 2017-2018 vs previous year)
- 458% year on year traffic growth
- 242% year on year improvement in organic conversion rate
- 2861% year on year improvement in organic revenue
- Company valued at almost £1M as a midmarket price May 2018.
Would you like to discuss a project with us?
I'm Karl, Managing Director at Stunn. Client services fall under my responsibility and I'm the primary contact for new projects, both large and small.